Friday 23 January 2009

A Day At Gibb's Island

Craig and Natalie had already begun work on our hawthorn hedge when I arrived this morning at ten-thirty. We are making really good progress; much of the new hedge surrounding the old wall is now complete.

The three of us must have laid about thirty-six hawthorn trees today, with saws and bill-hooks. I love it; and I love Gibb's Island, too. A little robin stayed with us most of the day, finding worms and insects from the disturbed ground where we toiled.

Gibb's Island is just south of Delamont Estate, on Strangford Lough in County Down.

We ate our packed lunches at about one-thirty - roast beef sandwiches for me.

I arrived home at five o'clock. Craig arrived in his car shortly afterwards to collect our old, wide screen television. We have donated it to the National Trust; and I hope that all who watch it shall get as much pleasure as we've had for the last eight years.

No comments :