Tuesday 25 August 2009

Remedial Action

A week ago, a sole on one of my favourite shoes finally parted company with it when I was in Town; so, yesterday, I decided I'd better take remedial action. I cycled over to a little shoe repair shop I know of, at the end of India Street on Botanic Avenue. It is called Botanic Shoe Repairs.

I've taken footwear to this place before. He had a look at the offending article and concluded that both shoes would need to be re-soled. I feared as much; how much would this cost? £18 for the pair. In a hurry? No. They'd be ready on Thursday, then. The shoe-mender pointed to the rows of re-soled shoes neatly awaiting their owners, in the shelf behind him. He accepted a £10 deposit. I'd be back on Thursday or Friday.

There was a lovely little juvenile goldfinch lying on our drive this morning, below a window. This does occur occasionally: they are, perhaps, spooked by a passer-by or traffic; they fly off and hit the window. This is invariably fatal for small birds. Being too soft-hearted, the sight of a dead bird killed in this way always saddens me. C'est La Vie, I suppose. I gently placed the tiny goldfinch in a bag and into the bin.

No comments :