Tuesday 10 August 2010

Florence Court Outing



After a heart cooked breakfast this morning - consisting of egg, two rashers of bacon, two sausages, potato bread, soda bread, tomato and baked beans - I apprised them that I was now ready to make an assault on General Cole's Monument which proudly overlooks Enniskillen in County Fermanagh. This rather grand monument, not unlike Nelson's Column, honours General the Hon Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole GCB, second son of 1st Earl of Enniskillen.

Thence I headed for the Belle Isle Estate, where I spent some time admiring MV Trasna moored on the lough. I said Hallo to the estate manager, who said little about my blog or, indeed, my various articles regarding Belle Isle's history. At least he could have got up off his seat, welcomed me and shaken hands. How disappointing. No matter! I turned on my heels and drove back to Enniskillen.

In the afternoon, I drove the shortish distance to Florence Court, erstwhile seat of the Coles, Earls of Enniskillen. It's gratifying to see that they have begun restoration work on the Stick Yard, which included the laundry, dairy and other rooms. There is now a new apartment available to rent which was formerly the accommodation for male servants.

The two images are of an old room in the Stick Yard, complete with wheel-chair; and the newspaper headlines regarding the dreadful fire which enveloped major sections of the House in the 50s. Click to enlarge.


I was delighted to notice one of my articles about the 7th Earl, including coat-of-arms and image of his lordship, in the Colonel's Room.

No comments :