Thursday 31 January 2013

Malone Visit

I was at south Belfast today, the main purpose of which was to pay an old pal a visit.

James suffered a debilitating stroke several years ago and, as a consequence, now lives in a nursing home.

This particular home is at Windsor Park.

Although he has only been there for several days, he tells me that he likes it, which is very good news.

His father was a well-known solicitor. James himself was sent to Brackenber House prep school and Portora Royal School, Enniskillen.

We had a good old chin-wag about heritage matters and old Ulster families, a topic we both share a common interest in, especially since he was based once at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.

James asked me if I could contact his optician, in order to apprise him of James's whereabouts; which I shall do this afternoon; and I will also advise the optician that James needs another pair of reading and distance spectacles.

Later, I drove to Balmoral Road, where I visited a few businesses; and then lunched at the Hawthorne Restaurant, formerly part of Fulton's furnishings.

I am glad to say that standards at the Hawthorne are a high as ever; grub is terrific; and I was welcomed as an old customer.

I told them that I was glad to see them still open for business.

I had the usual, irresistible savoury mince tart with salad.

No comments :