SIR GILBERT JOCELYN, who returned to Normandy, and came back into England with the CONQUEROR, from whom he obtained extensive territorial grants in Lincolnshire, among which were the lordships of Sempringham and Tyrington.
Sir Gilbert had two sons, namely,
Gilbert of Sempringham (c1083-1190), the elder, devoting himself to a religious life, retired to Sempringham Priory, where he had founded the order of St Gilbert, known as the GILBERTINES, possessed, at the dissolution of religious houses, twenty-one monasteries in England, containing nearly 1,200 persons.
This Gilbert died at the exceptionally advanced age of 106, and was canonized by POPE INNOCENT III in 1202.
GEOFFREY DE JOCELYN, the younger son, married the daughter of John Blisset, and from that marriage descended lineally,
THOMAS JOCELYN, who wedded, in 1249, Maude, daughter and co-heir of Sir John Hyde, of Hyde Hall, Hertfordshire, and granddaughter, maternally, of John, Baron Sudeley, of Gloucestershire; by which marriage the Jocelyns obtained that estate, which continued for a very lengthy period in the family.
From this Thomas, we pass to his descendant,
SIR RALPH JOCELYN KB, citizen and draper of London, of which city he was sheriff, 1458, and Lord Mayor, 1464.
In 1467, Sir Ralph represented the city of London in parliament, and was again Lord Mayor in 1476.
The elder brother of this opulent citizen,
THOMAS JOCELYN, of Hyde Hall, was great-grandfather of
SIR THOMAS JOCELYN KB, of Hyde Hall, who married Dorothy, daughter of Sir Geoffrey Gates, Knight, and was succeeded, in 1562, by his eldest son,
RICHARD JOCELYN, of Hyde Hall, whose grandson,
SIR ROBERT JOCELYN (1623-1712), Knight, of Hyde Hall, and of Newhall, High Sheriff of Hertfordshire, 1677, was created a baronet in 1665.
Sir Robert wedded Jane, daughter and co-heir of Robert Strange, of Wiltshire, and had nine sons and five daughters; of whom
STRANGE, 2nd but eldest surviving son, inherited the title and fortune;Sir Robert was succeeded by his eldest son,
Edward, in holy orders;
Thomas, father of ROBERT, 1ST VISCOUNT JOCELYN.
SIR STRANGE JOCELYN, 2nd Baronet (c1651-1734), who wedded Mary, daughter of Tristram Conyers, of Walthamstow, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
SIR JOHN (1689-1741); at whose decease, unmarried, the baronetcy devolved upon his only brother,
SIR CONYERS JOCELYN MD, 4th Baronet (1703-78), High Sheriff of Hertfordshire, 1745, who died a bachelor, when the baronetcy devolved upon the son and successor of
THE RT HON ROBERT JOCELYN (1688-1756); (refer to Thomas, son of 1st Baronet), a lawyer of great eminence, who filled the offices of Solicitor-General and Attorney-General in the reigns of GEORGE I and GEORGE II, and was constituted LORD CHANCELLOR OF IRELAND, 1739.
His lordship was subsequently twelve times one of the Lords Justices of that kingdom, and died in the government, in 1756.
He was elvated to the peerage, in 1743, by the title of Baron Newport; and advanced to a viscountcy, in 1755, as Viscount Jocelyn.
His lordship espoused firstly, Charlotte, daughter and co-heir of Charles Anderson, of Worcester, by whom he had a son, ROBERT, his successor.
He wedded secondly, in 1754, Frances, daughter of Thomas Claxton, of Dublin, and widow of Richard, 1st Earl of Ross.
He died as already mentioned in 1756, and was succeeded by his only son,
ROBERT, 2nd Viscount (1731-97), who succeeded to the baronetcy of the family upon the decease of his kinsman, Sir Conyers Jocelyn, 4th Baronet, in 1770.
His lordship, who was Auditor-General of Ireland, was created EARL OF RODEN in 1771.
He married, in 1752, Lady Anne Hamilton, only surviving daughter of James, Earl of Clanbrassil, and eventually heir of her brother, James, the last earl, by whom he had issue,
ROBERT, his successor;
Harriet; Caroline; Charlotte; Sophia; Louisa; Emelia.
ROBERT, 2nd Earl (1756-1820), KP, PC, MP, who was appointed a Knight of the Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick in 1806.
This nobleman espoused, in 1788, Frances Theodosia, eldest daughter of the Very Rev Robert Bligh, Dean of Elphin, and niece of John, 1st Earl of Darnley, by whom he left issue,
ROBERT, his successor;His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,
James Bligh, Lieutenant RN;
Frances Theodosia; Anne.
ROBERT, 3rd Earl (1788-1870), KP, PC, who wedded, in 1813, Maria Frances Catherine, 2nd daughter of Thomas, Lord le Despencer.
This nobleman was installed as a Knight of St Patrick in 1821.
The 3rd Earl was installed as a knight of the Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick in 1821.
- Robert Jocelyn, 3rd Earl (1788–1870);
- Robert Jocelyn, 4th Earl (1846–80);
- John Strange Jocelyn, 5th Earl (1823–97);
- William Henry Jocelyn, 6th Earl (1842–1910);
- Robert Julian Orde Jocelyn, 7th Earl (1845–1915);
- Robert Soame Jocelyn, 8th Earl (1883–1956);
- Robert William Jocelyn, 9th Earl (1909–93);
- Robert John Jocelyn, 10th Earl (b 1938).
TOLLYMORE PARK, near Newcastle, County Down, was formerly the seat of the Earls of Roden.
Tollymore Park House (above) was a Georgian mansion extending round four sides of a courtyard.
The earliest part was constructed ca 1730 by James Hamilton, 1st Earl of Clanbrassil (of 2nd creation), whose grandmother was heiress of the Magennis family, original owners of the Estate.
As first built, the mansion consisted of a two-storey block with one bay on either side of a three-sided bow, and single-storey, three-bay wings.
The architect was likely to have been Thomas Wright.
By 1787, the three other sides of the courtyard had been built, all single storey.
The mansion already had long corridors with windows containing roundels of Flemish stained glass.
An extra storey was added the the single-storey parts; while the entrance front became a typical late-Georgian composition of nine bays with a pedimented breakfront centre and a single storey Doric portico.
Before 1859, the house was further enlarged and the original block was given high rooves in the French château manner.
It is a wild and rocky Tract, exhibiting some scenes of singular beauty, in the romantic style. Two Mountain Torrents join in the Park, and form sundry cascades, in their passage to the Sea…Every advantage was taken of the natural attributes to create a fashionable 18th century naturalistic park and to further grace it with suitable buildings.
Tollymore House, at the centre of the site, was demolished in 1952.
However, the demesne buildings and their folly embellishments remain and are now appreciated as fine examples of the work of Thomas Wright and others, the finest being the Clanbrassil Barn.
Collectively these are called Lord Limerick’s Follies.
A Hermitage clings to the rocks above the Shimna river, built in 1770 to commemorate a friend’s death.
There are a great many interesting 18th century bridges along the river, which plays an important part in the landscape as it sparkles over rocks and deep ravines.
The woodland planting was acknowledged to have been extensive and successful.
Purchased by the Ministry of Agriculture in 1930, the holding was increased in 1941 and subsequently a great deal of the land was covered with forest planting.
The structure of the landscape park is not visible presently.
The original Picea abies var. Clanbrassilliana (discovered by Lord Clanbrassil in the mid-1770s) can be seen in this area.
There is an exceptionally fine avenue of Deodar cedar at the Barbican gate avenue.
However, rhododendron and azalea plants attractively cover an area on either side of the Horn Bridge as a steep descending walk to the river.
The Forest Service is also responsible for Forest Plots, experimental plantations of various species which are being tested for suitability as forest planting.
The entrances are exceptional and are: Bryansford or Gothick Gate, ca 1786, and lodge, 1802; Barbican gate, ca 1780, and lodge ca 1810; East Lodge, 1865; White Gate Lodge, early 20th century.
The walls on the Hilltown Road and a gate are listed. There is another commemorative monument, a mid-19th century obelisk.
The park has a long history dating back to 1611, in the records of King James I.
It was recorded that the park was granted to Brian MacHugh MacAgholy Magennis.
The neighbouring village of Bryansford is believed to have been named after him (Brian’s Ford).
From the Hamiltons, Earls of Limerick, the estate passed, again through the distaff side, to the Jocelyns, one of whom was later created Earl of Roden.
The 9th Earl (1909-93) was a captain in the Royal Navy and lived at Bryansford, County Down, just outside the walls of Tollymore Park.
It is believed that the 10th and present Earl still maintains a residence at Tollymore.
Tollymore Park remained in the Roden family until it was sold to the Department of Agriculture between 1930 and 1941.
It is now one of Northern Ireland's most popular attractions.
In 1955, Tollymore became the first state forest in Northern Ireland.
Former seats ~ Hyde Hall, Hertfordshire; Tollymore Park, County Down; Dundalk House, County Louth.
Roden arms courtesy of European Heraldry. First published in February, 2012.