The founder of this family in Ulster,
JOHN CALDWELL, a merchant at Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, was born at Preston, Ayrshire.
He died in 1639, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
JAMES CALDWELL (c1634-1717), who settled at Rossbeg, afterwards called Castle Caldwell, County Fermanagh.
He was created a baronet in 1683, being denominated of Wellsborough, County Fermanagh.
Sir James wedded a daughter of Sir John Hume Bt, of Castle Hume, County Fermanagh.
Who, in 1671, purchased Wellsborough Estate, close to Belleek, County Fermanagh; Captain of Horse; High Sheriff of County Fermanagh, 1677; attainted by the Irish Parliament of JAMES II, 1689; Colonel of Foot, 1689.Sir James was succeeded by his son,
SIR HENRY CALDWELL, 2nd Baronet, High Sheriff of County Fermanagh, 1693, merchant at Ballyshannon, County Donegal.
Sir Henry died ca 1726, and was succeeded by his son,
SIR JOHN CALDWELL, 3rd Baronet, who wedded, in 1719, Anne, daughter of the Very Rev John Trench, Dean of Raphoe, by whom he had five sons and two daughters.
The third son, Hume, was a very distinguished officer in the Austrian service, and attained the rank of colonel. He was killed in a sally from the fortress of Schweidnitz, in 1762.
Sir John died in 1744, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
THE RT HON SIR JAMES CALDWELL, 4th Baronet (c1722-84), who being in the service of the Empress Maria Theresa, was created by that princess COUNT OF MILAN, in the Holy Roman Empire.
In 1766, Sir James, in passing through Vienna, having had an audience of leave of the Empress-Queen, Her Imperial Majesty, in a very gracious manner, charged him with a magnificent gold box, to present to the Dowager Lady Caldwell, mother of Colonel Caldwell, as a testimony of Her Majesty's gratitude for the signal services performed by that gallant officer.
Sir James raised, in 1760, at his own expense, a body of Light Horse (20th Dragoons), comprising 250 men, which he commanded for some years, for the defence of the Kingdom of Ireland.
This regiment was disbanded in 1763.
Sir James is said to have declined a British peerage as well as the position of chamberlain for the Empress of Germany.
He espoused, in 1753, Elizabeth, daughter of the Most Rev Dr Josiah Hort, Lord Archbishop of Tuam, by whom he had (with four daughters) three sons,
JOHN, his successor;Sir James was succeeded by his eldest son,
SIR JOHN CALDWELL, 5th Baronet (1756-1830), of Castle Caldwell, County Fermanagh, Count of Milan, Aide-de-Camp to the Viceroy of India, 1782, Governor of County Fermanagh, 1793; Lieutenant-Colonel, Fermanagh Militia, High Sheriff of County Fermanagh, 1798, Captain, Belleek Infantry, 1802.
He married, in 1789, Harriet, daughter of Hugh Meynell, and had two daughters, the elder of whom, Louisa Georgiana, wedded, in 1823, to Sir J W Hort Bt; and the second, to Sir John Colpoys Bloomfield, of Redwood, County Tipperary.
On his death, in 1830, his Holy Roman Empire Countship expired, and the baronetcy reverted to his cousin,
SIR JOHN CALDWELL, 6th Baronet (1775–1842), born at Quebec, Treasurer-General of Canada, 1810, who espoused, in 1800, Jane, daughter of James Davidson, and had issue,
HENRY JOHN, his successor;Sir John was succeeded by his only son,
SIR HENRY JOHN CALDWELL (1801-58), 7th Baronet, who married, in 1839, Sophia Louisa, daughter of David Runwa Paynter, though the marriage was without issue.
The title expired on the 7th Baronet's death in 1858.
CASTLE CALDWELL, near Belleek in County Fermanagh, stands on an isthmus overlooking Lower Lough Erne.
It was built between 1613-19 by Thomas Blennerhassett on the 1,500 acre estate he acquired under the Plantation of Ulster.
The castle was purchased by James Caldwell in 1662.
First published in July, 2011.