Monday 4 April 2016

El Goloso


It was slightly chilly at eight o'clock this morning. 

Many of the little cafés open about this time, and there were eight or nine customers waiting outside El Goloso del Cotillo when I arrived.

This is quite a captivating little corner patisserie and boulangerie near the beach on the outskirts of the village.


Fresh bread, exquisite and dainty cakes, fruit tartlets, rolls, tea, coffee are all served here.

It's a rustic and unpretentious sort of place: Sit here and observe all kinds of Humanity coming and going.


I ordered some wholemeal bread, toasted, with butter and jam; and a cup of tea.

I know to ask for "pan integral" which means wholemeal bread.

The assistant showed me a freshly-baked French-style loaf and inquired if I'd like it cut in the middle or from the side.


Two slices of it, and the cup of tea, cost €3.25.

If I'd arrived fifteen minutes later I'd have managed to avoid the initial queue, because there were a mere two people in El Goloso.

I suppose I'm a bit of an early bird.

No comments :