Wednesday 2 November 2016

La Scarpetta da Mariò

I've been yearning for some good, fresh pasta lately and there just happens to be a fair selection of Italian restaurants in Corralejo.

Several years ago I dined at a charming little restaurant called La Scarpetta da Mariò, tucked away discreetly in a quiet shopping centre close to the town centre.

Mariò himself was master of ceremonies, to the extent that he personally attended to patrons, spending a few minutes reciting the special meals available.

Quite a rigmarole in fact.

La Scarpetta moved to new premises more than a year ago, at the Plaza, 62, Avenida Nostra Senora del Carmen.

The new restaurant is considerably larger and, as a consequence, less intimate.

I like it, though it has lost a little of the former premises' charm; and Mariò has ceased the rigmarole (which I don't mind, frankly).

The new restaurant was very quiet when I arrived, though I tend to dine early so this was perhaps to be expected.

I was shown to a table at the far end initially.

I have experienced this treatment before, so before I settled there I scanned the room for a preferable table and noticed one I fancied at the window.


Seated at the window table, I perused the Italian menu and ordered the Torta Sfoglia agli Asparagi , fresh asparagus cooked in butter, with Parmesan and ricotta cheese, aromatic truffle, encased in a rich puff pastry.


For my main course I had the Tagiatelle ai Pomodorini Calabresi e Porcini, pasta with sun-dried cherry tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, a bit of chilli pepper, porcini mushrooms and basil.

The asparagus tart was very good: moist, light, full of flavour; with a fine little garnish and sweet balsamic vinegar.

The pasta was good, too: fresh, appropriately cooked, complemented by the sun-dried tomatoes and basil.

The bill, including a soft drink, came to €20.10.

No comments :