EXTENT: 33.18 acres
DONOR: Thomas Kingan Esq
PROPERTY: Cockle Island, Groomsport, County Down
EXTENT: 0.6 acres
DONOR: Gavin Maxwell Esq
First published in December, 2014.
THOMAS, his successor;Lord Cahir died in 1596, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
RICHARD, his successor;His lordship was advanced, in 1816, to the dignities of Viscount Cahir and EARL OF GLENGALL.
Harriet Anne, m George, 3rd Marquess of Donegall;
Charlotte Butler; Emily Georgina Arabella.
|Richard, 2nd Earl of Glengall|
Over the years the design of the landscape has become obscured by self-seeded trees, poor drainage and other changes.
As a conservation charity we are committed to protecting our special places for ever, for everyone and so we are restoring this hidden part of Castle Ward to enhance visitor enjoyment and understanding of the area.
We anticipate the project will take three years and will include the repair of the Temple and improvements to the parkland that will open up views of both Audley’s Castle and Strangford Lough.The lake at Castle Ward, known as Temple Water, will be central to the restoration project.
|The Temple Water, Castle Ward|
|Map of 1835 showing the Green House|
The name was an amalgam of the Barrett and Lennard families, after Richard Barrett took the name LENNARD in consideration of the manor of Bell House (Belhus) in Essex, bequeathed to him by Edward, 1st Baron Barrett of Newburgh.The surname was styled LENNARD-BARRETT until 1755, when Thomas, 17th Lord Dacre, transposed the order of the names.
"only one parlour and three bedrooms with fireplaces, and three other little rooms without fireplaces or any furniture. In the cellar a hogshead of old French claret, very good, if not spoiled with this long frost."
|May Street elevation|
William, of Legacorry (1656-1727), dsp;The younger son,
JOHN, of whom presently.
WILLIAM, his heir;Mr Richardson was succeeded by his eldest son,
HENRY, of whom hereafter;
Hester, m Rev J Lowry, of Pomeroy;
Mary, m Archibald, 1st Baron Gosford.
Elizabeth, died unmarried 1859;
Isabella, died unmarried 1860;
JOHN MERVYN ARCHDALL CARLETON, his heir;Mr Richardson succeeded on the death of his cousin Louisa, Mrs Bacon, in 1881, to two-thirds of the Richhill estate.
Charles William Henry (1840-88);
Jane Angel; Angel Catherine Charlotte; Emilie Margaret; Henrietta M Mervyn.
HENRY SACHEVERELL CARLETON;The eldest son,
Guy Carleton, b 1885;
Jane Mary; Mildred Cicely Carleton.
In 1610, Sacheverall had received two portions of land, 1,000 acres each, called Mullalelish and Legacorry, and decided to live on the latter. He declared himself to be worth £300 a year and brought over three masons, a carpenter, a smithy, nine labourers, two women, four horses and a cart. Before his death in 1649, Sacheverall had sold the Mullalelish portion to Sir William Alexander, a Scottish speculator who was later honoured with the earldom of Stirling.
According to villagers, the gates were taken from Richhill in the late 1930s as part of the 2nd World War effort, when gates and railings all over the UK were seized by the Government to melt down and turn into guns and tanks to fight the Nazis.But the former Richhill Castle gates, considered too ornate to waste on Hitler, were stashed away during the hostilities. They turned up in Hillsborough to adorn the castle at the top of the town's main street.
"But now that the seemingly impossible has happened with the political agreement. It would seem appropriate to give us back our gates.
We are in the process of spending £747,000 donated by the Heritage Lottery Fund on a major scheme in Richhill, and the least the government can do is give us back the gates that were taken, supposedly temporarily, but seem to have a permanent home at Hillsborough.
It's our long-term ambition to buy the castle and turn it into a hotel and conference centre, so we'll be stepping up the gates campaign."
A market-house was built in the Square by William Richardson in 1753, which became a very important centre of the brown linen trade where, in 1804, sales averaged at least £500 per week, despite rival markets in both Armagh and Portadown.
The moulding and the large window to the first floor are both set within a broad, but shallow, bay which rises to a typically Art Deco stepped parapet, upon which is set the words "floral hall" in large lettering set on a projecting frame.These letters are in a sans-serif lower-case typeface.
|Photo credit: Spatial Pan - http://www.flickr.com/photos/spatial_pan/4330505942/|
WILLIAM, his successor;His Grace espoused secondly, in 1850, Harriet Sydney, daughter of Conway Richard Dobbs, of Castle Dobbs, County Antrim, and had issue,
Robert, of Cromore House, m Ellen Cromie;
|photo credit: GreyHobbit|
|Photo credit: Roy Vogan ( www.royspics.com )|
The 7th Duke was appointed a Knight of St Patrick (KP) in 1877. As Prime Minister, Benjamin Disaeli appointed six Conservative peers to the Order: The Duke of Manchester; The Marquesses of Waterford and Londonderry; and the Earls of Erne, Mayo and Portarlington.The site of Tandragee Castle in County Armagh - formerly spelt Tanderagee - once belonged to the O'Hanlon Clan, one of the most powerful clans in the history of Ulster.
In 1911, the 9th Duke brought John Stone, an eminent Scottish professional from Sandy Lodge Golf Club, London, to lay out a private golf course on his estate at Tandragee. In those days, there was no clubhouse and Mr. Stone, his wife and their two daughters collected fees at the Gate Lodge where they had set up residence.
The Duchess of Manchester, who was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, even designed some of the original bunkers which were laid out in the shape of the Great Lakes and these remain to this day. The golf club received notice to quit the Duke's estate, to take effect from 12th November, 1949.Tandragee Castle remained the Ulster seat of the Dukes of Manchester till 1939.
THOMAS, his heir;Sir Thomas was succeeded by his eldest son,
Robert (Very Rev), Dean of Clonfert;
Henrietta; Salisbury; Anne.
THOMAS;Sir Thomas was elevated to the peerage, in 1760, as Baron Headfort; advanced to a viscountcy, in 1762, as Viscount Headfort; and further advanced, to the dignity of an earldom, in 1766, as Earl of Bective.
Robert, a general in the army;
Clotworthy, created Baron Langford;
Henry Edward, in holy orders;
THOMAS, his successor;His lordship was created MARQUESS OF HEADFORT in 1800.
Mary; Elizabeth Jane.
THOMAS, his successor;His lordship espoused secondly, in 1853, Frances, daughter of John Livingstone Martyn.
Olivia; Mary Juliana; Virginia Frances Zerlina.
High Sheriff of Meath, 1844, and of Cavan, 1846, State Steward to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1852-3; High Sheriff of Westmorland, 1853; MP for Westmorland, 1854-70; Lord Lieutenant of Meath, 1876-94; Privy Counsellor, 1879; Knight of St Patrick 1885.GEOFFREY THOMAS, 4th Marquess, Senator of the Irish Free State, 1922-28.
The Taylour family became very much involved in the political life of the locality, and several members of the family served as MPs for Kells and the county of Meath.
The heir apparent is the present holder's son, Thomas Rupert Charles Christopher Taylour, styled Earl of Bective (b 1989).
- Geoffrey Thomas Taylour, 4th Marquess (1878–1943)
- Terence Geoffrey Thomas Taylour, 5th Marquess (1902–60)
- Thomas Geoffrey Charles Michael Taylour, 6th Marquess (1932–2005)
- Thomas Michael Ronald Christopher Taylour, 7th Marquess (b 1959)
The land found its way into the Headfort family as a result of the Down Survey, being granted to Thomas Taylour, 1st Earl of Bective, as a result of his helping Sir William Petty in that survey. Gradually the estate shrank is size and chunks were sold off to pay debts.
Established in 2007. Writing about a wide variety of topics including the Monarchy, the Nobility, the Gentry, Heraldry, Pageantry, Heritage, Country Houses, the National Trust, Conservation, Brackenber House School, Food, Drink, Entertainment, Travel.